I’ve started Ben-Hur, by Lew Wallace, this past week. I have found several interesting new words.
***
1. Wadi
(n.)
Definition — a gully or streambed in northern Africa and southwest Asia that remains dry except during the rainy season.
Usage — “When the dromedary lifted itself out of the last break of the wadi, the traveler had passed the boundary…”
~Ben-Hur
2. Sheikh
(n.)
Definition — a respected old man.
Usage — “The heart of the most veteran sheikh beats quicker when he finds himself alone in the pathless tracts.”
~Ben-Hur
3. Khan
(n.)
Definition — an large inn in certain Asian countries.
Usage — “The khan at Bethlehem, before which neither Joseph and his wife stopped, was a good specimen of it’s class…”
~Ben-Hur
4. Sluice
(n.)
Definition — an artificial channel for conducting water, with a valve or gate to regulate the flow.
Usage — “In all directions, the grade… emptied the water into sluices bordering the walks…”
~Ben-Hur
Have you learned any new words this week?
Check out more on Kathy’s blog!
5 comments:
I've heard sheikh plenty of times but had never bothered to look it up and had no idea that's what it means. Thanks for participating.
Very good words, Jenna! "Khan" especially wasn't what I expected.
Terrific words that you have chosen. I knew wadi already from my travels in Israel.
As noted by Lisa notes: I did not expect Khan to mean what it does.
Ben Hur...how are you liking the book?
Here are my Wondrous Words
I'm a language junkie, and you do my heart good with this post. Thank you!
I'm liking Ben Hur... but it's a little too descriptive for me. I liked the movie better. :)
Post a Comment