Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Wondrous Words Wednesday

Wondrous Words I thought I would find more unknown words in Uncle Tom’s Cabin than I actually did! But here are a few that I did find.

 

 

 

 


***

1. Piquant
(adj.)
Definition: charming, interesting, or attractive.
Usage: “There was something so piquant and original in these elucidations of humanity...”
-Uncle Tom’s Cabin

2. Elucidations 
(n.)
Definition: an act of explaining that serves to clear up and cast light on.
Usage: “There was something so piquant and original in these elucidations of humanity...”
-Uncle Tom’s Cabin

3. Cavil 
(v.)
Definition: to quibble about; detect petty flaws in.
Usage: “Miss Ophelia felt rather disposed to cavil at this picture...”
-Uncle Tom’s Cabin

For more Wondrous Words, check out Bermudaonion’s weblog.

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I probably cavil more than I should! These are great words. Thanks for participating!

Lisa notes... said...

I love when there are two words in one sentence. :-) Good finds!

gautami tripathy said...

Cavil is a great word!

Here is my Wondrous Words Wednesday post!